Sunday, March 11, 2012

Styles

"Styles tend to not only separate men—because they have their own doctrines and then the doctrine became the gospel truth that you cannot change. But if you do not have a style, if you just say: Well, here I am as a human being, how can I express myself totally and completely? Now, that way you won't create a style, because style is a crystallization. That way, it's a process of continuing growth." - Bruce Lee

This quote touched me deeply. I believe there are SO many illustration styles out there, why stick to just one and put yourself in a hole? Why separate yourself, your art? Art is everything, it's expression, you can feel so many things at one time, why only choose one? I believe there's always room to grow, always room to learn. Some may even say that's my downfall, I am a perfectionist and I should just be happy with what I've achieved. I've achieved a lot, I'm so proud of where I am and how I got here. But I'm not done!!! I always strive for more but that DOES NOT mean I am NOT content. I am know that I am so blessed. I just move on quickly and I look to my next goal big or small!

I'm constantly soaking things up from many different areas of my life. If an artist loves doing one style, more power to them, but for me, I enjoy so many. So many mediums, subjects, emotions, people, themes, I cannot just love one. In school I was taught to have one style. I couldn't I focused on two styles "elegant" and "simple cute". I conformed. I conformed to my peers. But I kept experimenting outside of school on my own. And I was most happiest on my own, not being judged. I realized, I felt like crap in school, too much pressure and comparing. Only when I started working professionally as a Product Designer and freelance illustrator on the side, I was doing my best work ever because I was free and happy on my own. I'm still doing that, and still learning, still happy.





So here I am, I am human, I am me. Thanks Bruce!

No comments: